Mamiya Phase One and landscape shoot. plus capture one


Mamiya Phase One:

  • ISO 1600 capture
  • Live preview
  • One hour noise free exposures
  • High level of detail in highlights and shadows.
I found using the Mamiya easy, and the outcomes really good. However I do prefer the Hasselblad as I feel the quality is improved.
























Capture One:

This software only works with the digital Mamiya, and not with Hasselblad as they created their own software called Phocus, I have spoken about this on my Hasselblad page. It is a bit like bridge for the organisation aspect of it, and is like Camera Raw with the quick editing aspect of it. It is a quick editing tool that you can use as you take the photo rather than after the shoot. You can also see if the image is in focus because of when you tether the camera to the computer, there is a tool that allows you too zoom in close to part of the photograph.



 





Digital Medium Format vs. DSLR


I decided to do a comparison of the two cameras to see what is better quality. I decided to do a landscape shoot, as had done a studio shoot with the Hasselblad, This was for me to see what it was like using that sort of camera outside. I decided to do it against a Canon 5d Mark II. A full frame camera, which I felt would be the best competitor against the Mamiya digital medium format camera. The shoot went really well the only thing I found was the Mamiya was a lot more close in than the DSLR, so it was closer to the bench. I still like both the photo outcomes.






As you can see from the contact sheet you can see the different zooms from both cameras. I feel like next time I would try differnet lenses on each camera, to see if it is the actual camera or the lenses.



Mamiya:





Before







After




You can see I spot healed some of the stuff off the ground because I felt it was sort of distracting the viewers eye, and cleans the photo up slightly.

DSLR:




DSLR:                  
If you zoom in on this photo, you
can see the quality decreases and becomes
more pixelated. If I had used a lens with a longer
focal length it could have been sharper.                                                                      
Mamiya:
With this photo you can see the quality is alot more 
improved. This is because of the lens we used.